June 27, 2016 (Panampost) –The Colombian Minister of Defense Luis Carlos Villegas spoke last week about what the bilateral ceasefire means for the country and how it resulted from the negotiations in Havana between the Colombian government and the Colombian Revolutionary Armed Forces (FARC).
Villegas said that since he came to the ministry, he has tried to keep all members of the armed forces in the loop about what was going on in the talks. The idea was to make the military aware first hand of what was being negotiated in Havana.
Within the armed forces, there has been a fair amount of controversy surrounding what was being discussed in Havana, with much speculation on what will happen to the Colombian army after the agreement is signed, as well as talks about the reduction of the military apparatus. There has also been mention that some soldiers that have committed crimes are going to be subject to transitional justice.
Up to this point, FARC has said it wants over 70 territories to gather to ease verification of arms, but Villlegas made sure it would be around 23.
The minister said he expects around 6,400 guerrilla fighters to demobilize. However, there are many doubts about what will really happen to them. There are also doubts about the money spent on reinserting them into civil life in addition to dismantling their entire military structure.